Skip to main content

The Energetics of Singing – How Attitude Affects Your Vocal Range

The Energetics of Singing – How Attitude Affects Your Vocal Range

I’ve been giving singing lessons for about 10 years now. What I have discovered is that one of the major things that affect our singing ability is our attitude!
Singing is a form of communication. With all types of verbal communication, the listener receives many other messages as well as what is literally being said. For example, (lets move away from the singing area), someone might tell you how beautiful your dress is, but what you can feel is something different. You might feel that they actually don’t like your dress and are being patronising. Or you might feel that not only do they love your dress, but they’d love to get to know you better. What you can feel but not necessarily see is called the metaphysical… beyond the physical and basically it is what is actually going on in the space around us.
So getting back to attitudes in singing… let’s say you are on stage about to sing a song and your mind is filled with thoughts of… ‘Will they like me? Am I good enough? Do I look good enough? Will I be able to reach that high note?’ and similar thoughts. You could pretty much say that at this point your attitude is not very positive.
Lets say you get up on stage with the attitude of ‘I Love singing!’ or ‘I’m going to do my best for these people tonite and that’s all I can do’ or ‘wow, this time last year I would never have got up on stage!’ or ‘I’m just going to enjoy being here with all these people’ or ‘I know I’m nervous but everyone gets nervous at some point… it doesn’t mean I cant sing”. Your attitude at this point is fairly positive.
Your attitude has a massive affect on an audience. It determines how they see you, what they feel and how you sound. Having a good attitude allows you to walk onstage without the negative mind chatter. It is like you are giving yourself permission to have an experience, and the moment you walk out you are present with the people. Worrying about your singing or how you look will definitely cloud your performance and distort your original reason for singing, (which I would probably assume is about connecting with people!).
But how does it help your range?
Not having your mind whirling around in negative thoughts also helps you to reach high notes! YES
When we sing music, the lower the note that we sing, the lower the vibration of the note and therefore the lower the note sits in our body. It’s the same the other way. The higher the note, the higher the vibration and the higher it seems to sit in our space. If notes would shine a light in the air when you sang them you might see a really high note sitting right at the top of  your head!

Many of us walk around stressed  and as a result our personal space or energetic body  is not so big. When we go to sing a high note, we have to force it out as we don’t have the energy required to sing it effortlessly. Our body is a big instrument that needs to be adjusted to  ideal conditions and that means being relaxed!
So what you can practice is singing with a big space, clear of  thoughts and of anything negative in particular. When we change our attitude around singing to one that is at least positive in some way, this does tend to ‘clear your head’ as they say, as your personal space is not filled with the usual mind chatter that literally ‘keeps us in our mind’.
Stepping out and enjoying what you are doing increases the size of your personal space. Check it out for yourself. How do you feel when you are worried and in the mind? Compare that feeling to when you are joyful or singing in the shower!? Try it! Try singing from a positive attitude and then from a negative attitude. Notice the difference. If you changed your attitude enough you may have even gained even up to an octave in range!
Your attitude is the greatest contributing factor to your ability to sing. Try it yourself and you’ll be amazed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do’s and Don’ts of Praise and Worship – Part 2 by Philip Renner

Do’s and Don’ts of Praise and Worship – Part 2 by Philip Renner Worship leader, award-winning recording artist, songwriter, and producer, Philip Renner became involved full time in worship ministry at the age of 15. Today, alongside his wife Ella, Philip serves as youth minister for the Moscow Good News Church, founded and pastored by his parents Rick and Denise Renner. Together Philip and Ella are passionate about seeing people connect with their purpose in Christ and developing a real relationship with God. The couple resides in Moscow, Russia, with their young daughter Emilia.

$40b drained from External Reserve in 10 years, says CBN

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has lamented that about $40 billion was depleted from the nation’s external reserves in 10 years due to the taste for imported goods by Nigerians. To stop bleeding  the external reserve, the CBN has urged Nigerians to begin to process raw materials so as to get more value and earn more foreign exchange. According to the CBN governor Mr Godwin Emefiele, “exported raw materials such as crude, wood, cocoa amongst others whose end products are later imported, are being sold cheaply and bought back at more expensive rates.” He said the level of the external reserve will be significantly beefed up if fuel which takes up 20 per cent of Nigeria’s import bill is locally produced. Defending the decision of the CBN to support the real sector, Emefiele said the apex bank “is convinced that the sector has sufficient employment capabilities, high growth potentials, contributes significantly in accretion to foreign reserves, expands the industrial base and divers

BE BLESSED BY THE STORY BEHIND HYMN Higher Ground

Higher Ground Lyrics I’m pressing on the upward way, New heights I’m gaining every day; Still praying as I’m onward bound, “Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.” Lord, lift me up and let me stand, By faith, on Heaven’s tableland, A higher plane than I have found; Lord, plant my feet on higher ground. My heart has no desire to stay Where doubts arise and fears dismay; Though some may dwell where those abound, My prayer, my aim, is higher ground. Lord, lift me up and let me stand, By faith, on Heaven’s tableland, A higher plane than I have found; Lord, plant my feet on higher ground. I want to live above the world, Though Satan’s darts at me are hurled; For faith has caught the joyful sound, The song of saints on higher ground. Lord, lift me up and let me stand, By faith, on Heaven’s tableland, A higher plane than I have found; Lord, plant my feet on higher ground. I want to scale the utmost height And catch a gleam of glory bright; But sti